Gating System Design (HPDC)
CAST-DESIGNER Basic is an efficient and flexible design tool to develop gating system for die casting in very short time. CAST-DESIGNER can quickly convert a gating system design idea to 3D CAD model for design evaluation. The unique smart parametric design concept of CAST-DESIGNER enables user to modify parameter e.g. gate width, draft angle; runner etc. at any stage of design and accordingly 3D CAD model will change automatically. It is possible to create the complete gating system including inner gates, gate runners, runners, overflows as well as cooling and venting systems within ten minutes to half an hour for a typical.
Gating system design procedure
Gating system design process is a simple way and unique approach. Based on the mass or volume of casting as well as geometry thickness and casting alloy type, the system can estimate the filling time and inner gate area automatically, then guide the user to select the casting machine correctly for a reasonable filling ratio of chamber. It can also predict the 1st phase and 2nd phase speed, the critical shift point and other process parameters also could be calculated. Finally, we can adjust the speed up ratio for each element of gating system to match the total speed-up ratio. All the number of gates and runners could be evaluated and adjusted in real time.
P-Q plot and casting machine selection:
P-Q and P-Q squared diagram (P-Q^2) are mathematical formulation that describes the relationship between pressure and flow rate of a liquid in a confined space. When used in the die casting process, it defines the relationship between liquid metal pressure and metal flow rate through the inner gate.
Cast-Designer takes advantage of the charting capabilities of modern computer software and creates a chart of Pressure versus Flow Rate with both axes having a linear scale. This means that the data points form a series of smooth curves. By changing the values in the input, these curves will alter in proportion.
Typical P-Q diagram for HPDC
Uniform interface and stream design for gating system interface
We have the same interface and work style for all gating component design, such as the inner gate, gate runner, main runner, sprue runner and shock absorber. It is full parametric and easy to use, all result was fully 3D CAD base and updated online.
The designed gating system data could be saved to data file and used back in any time, such data files also could be used for the similar part to make some small modification. The final design result could be exported to other system in 3D feature line, or 3D solid model in STEP file, or in CSV data sheet file for optimization or any other proposal.
Features for inner gate design:
- Calculate the inner gate area with Design Advisor.
- Online tips and wizards with industrial know-how and experience.
- Online evaluation tools to check inner gate area
- Suitable to all inner gates even if with complex geometry.
Features for gate runner and runner design:
- Build in wizard to define flow path and section parameters quickly.
- Support various runner types, such as fan, curve and tangent runner.
- Generate feature sections in pre-defined curve directly.
- Various styles in solid model generation.
- Take account of the efficiency of metal flow in runner design.
Features for sprue runner design:
- Support Cold and hot chamber machine as well as no sprue runner design.
- Full parameterized and standard design.
- Support multi sprue runners.
- Easy to customize.
Features for overflow design:
- Creates rectangular, orbicular and wedge overflows locations as specified by designer and pre-defined template to create quick casting gating system design
- Support multi-overflow sets. Overflows could be translated, rotated, mirrored to a new design.
- Support non-standard overflow design.
Features for gating system checking and evaluation:
- Sections and area of gating system.
- Filling ratio and yield ratio evaluation.
- Locking force and working parameters of casting machine.
It is ‘Design’ not ‘Draft’. Cast-Designer is not only faster but also better for design quality. The left picture show the designed gating system in Siemens NX. The user who was 5 years experience in Casting and NX CAD system, and spent 4 hours for the gating system design. However, the section area of the gating system was not controlled well. The right one was designed by an engineer with 1 years experience in Casting and Cast-Designer system. It is clear, the section area control and gate location was much better than before.
The draft design is an unique feature implemented in CAST-DESIGNER™ which facilitates a practical means of natural design in die casting. With this feature, the designer can start his idea on the draft paper, meeting board, any graphics software and even the communication FAX paper with customer, such hard draft could be snapped shot or scanned to transfer to CAST-DESIGNER™ in image format, such as BMP, TIF or JPG format. One can superimpose casting 3D CAD model on this draft and create gating system design inside cast-Designer. Another usage is converting the bitmap to CAD vector components for more flexibility capability for complex design, such as snap, extract, translation and free zoom.
- Start design from draft paper and import to Cast-Designer in the image format.
- Support BMP, TIF or JPG format.
- Support both bitmap and vector mode, convert bitmap to vector data automatically.
- Support DXF, IGES as input.
- Special designed tools for draft location and size adjustment.